Thursday, December 10, 2009

I'm Dreaming of a White Winter....

With the arrival of Becky's Christmas music compilation, I was getting all warm and fuzzy inside, enjoying the fun and nice music. When Mary Chapin Carpenter started in on "Still, Still, Still", I was well on the way to chills territory (or would that be Chillsville?) It's always been one of my "sleeper" Christmas songs--I never remember to put it on my list of favorites, but I'm always excited when I get to hear it.

Anyway, then we get to the part where she changes the words. The star's no longer holy, but just a winter star. The birth we're celebrating goes from the Savior to any old baby. I'm still enjoying the song, but there's now that nagging feeling at the back of my head that, in the wise words of Miss Clavel, "something is not right".

Maybe someday I'll learn to leave those nagging feelings at the back of my head. What usually happens is that they work their way forward, getting all twisted in the process. And that's why I'm posting this list of new and improved seasonal songs for one and all:

Rudolph, the Wet-Nosed Reindeer (still shiny, of course)
Frosty, the Cold Man (eyes now "as black as coal")
Metal Bells (It's wintertime in the city)
O Winter Night
O Conifer
Fat Old Guy is Coming to Town
Grandma Got Run Over by a Mammal
We Wish You a Merry Winter (with everyone's favorite verse about "now bring us some sort of pudding")


There, now it's out of my system.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Love it!

Lora said...

Is your blog public now? I'm so excited to be able to read it. {We have one if you have any interest, but you'll need an invite.}

Chris or Katie said...

Lora we would love an invite. Our blog however is not very exciting. We rarely get arround to posting.