Sunday, March 11, 2012

Harry Potter and the Greasy Hallows

AKA our ward's roadshow.

Daniel and James were in our ward's roadshow, with the performances being Saturday night. Katie helped with the costumes, so if you need any tips on how to make Dobby ears, just ask. As can probably tell, the show combined themes of Harry Potter and Grease. (As an aside--if you have fond memories of watching Grease on network TV, just leave them alone. Ordering it on Netflix will only lead to heartbreak). Basically, Harry's Harry, and Sandy is a Death Eater from Slytherin who eventually decides to join "Team Potter" at the end. James got to be one of the talking pictures on the wall, and Daniel was one of the guys in the black Morphsuits doing the special effects in the fight scene between Harry and Voldemort. Sorry, no pictures yet--I'll try to add some later.

I was really surprised with the quality of all the wards' roadshows, and the number of youth who participated. In almost every show there was at least one laugh out loud moment, and the song adaptations were quite good, considering everyone only had about two months from theme announcement to final performance.

Other wards' themes:

A Night at the Museum + Disneyland (Ursula takes over Disneyland at night and gets taken to the ball by Tarzan)

Star Wars + Mulan (The Jedi defeat Darth Vader and his mean Stormtroopers by being nice to them)

X-Men (Except it's the evil U-Men framing Wolverine for cheating on a test so that he can't play for the Y-Men in the big football game)

The Princess Bride + Tangled (Rapunzel with Christmas lights in her hair heals Westley, and Inigo decides that revenge isn't going to make him happy).

Cinderella (With hip-hop music, and the prince giving Cinderella his shoe, instead of vice versa. This is the one that made me officially old--Emily recognized the songs, and I didn't.)

As fun as they were, I think I speak for the whole family when I say that we're glad that it's over. It was a lot of work for everyone. However, getting to see so many of our ward's youth up on stage, and getting to watch Emily, Charlotte, and Rachel standing on their chairs, dancing along to some of the numbers, definitely made it seem worth the effort.

3 comments:

Sarah F said...

Was this just in your ward or your whole stake? We would need like 5 stakes to be able to put on one youth-centered show. I'm guessing in your ward people don't shake everyone's hand on the stage after sharing a testimony either. Are you going to post any movie clips? Is this why Let's Get Down to Business is stuck your head?

Chris or Katie said...

This is a stake event.
Anyhow we do have a big stake and our ward alone had 40 kids performing. This is a video of our wards show taken by the mother of Doby so only his part of the stage really shows most of the time, but since I didn't even bring a video camera I can't complain. It is long and the sound is pretty bad, so if you just want the gist of things and to see our kids watch the second half. The blacked out kids show up more in the video than they did from the audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi0nxgamvgk


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_7QVGO8ZfY

Becky said...

Okay, the "You killed my father, prepare to die" line is classic! I love it.

Our ward is doing these in a couple of weeks; I helped write ours. Our roadshows had to be based on assigned Mormon Ads (we got the one about Foul Language being for the birds). The roadshows have to begin with ad as the opening scene. You're stake is a lot more liberal than ours--there is no way they would have allowed a Grease reference, (and you're right it is disappointing to watch now as adult when you get all the inuendos). Our stake made us take out a line where we had a couple of kids flipping another kid dressed as a bird because they thought having someone say "Hey, stop flipping the bird!" was too edgy.

We'll see how it goes. I don't think they'll be nearly as fancy, or as polished as yours. Great job on the costumes, they look great!!