makes 8 bagels
1 1/4 cups warm water
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp yeast
3 1/2 - 4 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar (for boiling bagels)
cornmeal (for preventing bagels from sticking to stone/sheet)
Mix water, salt, and honey in mixing bowl. Add yeast and allow to proof for 5-15 minutes (or one large tantrum, or 2-3 minor interruptions). Add flour, and mix slowly, preferably with dough hook. Dough should hold together, but not be too sticky to handle. Let dough rest for 10-15 minutes (or equivalent child-mandated episode). Shape the dough into a cylinder about 12 inches long.
Slice the loaf into disks about 1 1/2 inches thick.
Push thumbs through the center of each slice...
...and pull into a bagel shape, rounding all surfaces.
Cover lightly and let rise 15-20 minutes.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 tbsp sugar. Immerse the bagels in the boiling water with a spoon or skimmer for about 20 seconds. The dough should be a little puffy, and the bagels should float (if they sink, either the dough is too heavy or they need to rise longer). Place the wet bagels on a cooling rack to dry (you can blot them as well). Give them a few minutes to dry so they don't stick to the cookie sheet/pizza stone. Preheat oven to 400 F. If you're using a pizza stone, now is a good time to sprinkle the cornmeal evenly on the stone (still a good time if you're using a cookie sheet, but you're less likely to get burned by waiting). Gently place the bagels on the sheet or stone, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until bagels sound hollow when tapped on the bottom (the bagel's bottom, that is).
Variations we like:
Whole wheat bagels: substitute half of the flour with whole wheat flour. These will take a little longer to rise, and need a little more boiling time.
Oatmeal bagels: substitute 1 cup of oats for 1 cup of flour.
For "wet" additions (salsa, berries, etc.) reduce the amount of water by approximately the amount of liquid added (typically 1/4-1/2 cup). For dry additions (e.g. jalapenos, (c)raisins) don't worry about adjusting water or flour.
Our favorites: cinnamon raisin, whole wheat, onion, blueberry, sun-dried tomato, jalapeno, oatmeal, plain.
2 comments:
Looks like I know what I will be doing tomorrow. I am sure I will have at least one child volunteer for the tantrum part of this recipe. Love it. I always laugh when I watch a "cooking for kids" episode of anything on the Food Network, because it's so far from reality.
I think I would need to do it with help before I could actually do it. Next time we meet up--bagel time.
Post a Comment