Monday, June 4, 2012

French Bread

French Bread
2 1/2 c warm water
2 Tbsp yeast
2 Tbsp sugar
2Tbsp oil
2 tsp salt
6 c flour
Dissolve the yeast, sugar, oil, and salt in the warm water.  Add flour and knead for a few min.  Cover and let rise for one hour. Shape the dough : for 2 french bread loaves allow to rise for 1/2 hour then bake for 30 min at 350 degrees; for 3 pizza crusts roll out the dough place on greased baking sheet, spread with sauce and toppings then bake at 350 for 15 min.

I also use this dough for sandwich loaves.  These are great for picnics and potlucks.  The kids all like pizza better because I put more vegetables in these.

 Roll out the dough.  Spread a Tbsp or two of salad dressing on the middle third of the dough.  Put whatever vegetables you want in.  Put them in raw--they will cook with the crust.  I usually put onions, peppers, and broccoli or asparagus or other whatever you have.  Then top with cheese, meat and more cheese. Cut out the corners and cut in about 1/2 in from the filling.  Fold in the ends then pull the strips across the middle alternating side to side.  This had Italian dressing, green onions, bell peppers, broccoli, mozzarella, ham and pepper jack cheese.
I forgot to take a picture when it came out of the oven and we already ate it so... sorry.

5 comments:

Becky said...

Cool, I am excited to try this. How long do you cook the sandwich roll for?

Chris or Katie said...

30 min at 350 degrees

Sarah F said...

I can't wait to try to sandwich roll. Do you think it would work with meat--like salami, or would it make it too greasy?

Chris or Katie said...

You will have to try to find out, but salami sounds great.

Wilde ones said...

I'm very excited that you guys posted some bread recipes. I've been wanting to branch out. Definitely going to have to try these soon.