As you may already know, I've been going through my old letters from my mission, with the idea of getting rid of some of the clutter in our garage (aka Daniel's room). After a few hours of reading, it became clear that these letters are not something I'll be getting rid of anytime soon. I absolutely treasure each one, from Dad's weekly family news/sports/spiritual thought/virtual shoulder squeeze format (most of which I was surprised to discover I'd committed to memory), Mom's interjection of French into most letters, Lisa's interesting analogies and experiences, Becky's inspired weirdness (see above), Matt's earnest philosophizing, Sarah's slice-of-10-year-old-life with a heavy dose of "please write back because I love you so much") thrown in, and Stephanie's great stories reported by others (Elder Schaeffer, Barf-proof Bill, etc.). Not to mention the letters from my friends in and out of the mission field at the time--ones that somehow manage to be deep and funny, but that would sound pretentious if written and received at any other time).
Really, I'm just using this as an excuse to resume blogging, and to share with you Becky's 5 stages of perkiness (with 4.5 apparently being baseline for her when she was in her teens). Definitely worth expanding the picture above if you can't see the details. In Muppet terms, the scale goes from approximately Bert to Dr. Teeth.
Using the above scale, here's how our summer has been:
5: Yosemite camping trip as a whole
James' team placing 4th in the county Academic Rodeo
Daniel making it to the top of Mt. Langley (just over 14,000 ft) and also catching fish with his bare hands in the lakes near our base camp.
4: Carrie (Katie's sister) moving back to Glendale
Sarah's diving, and swimming lessons for Emily, Charlotte, and Rachel
Stake youth conference and Girls' Camp
3: Hammock chairs for Mothers' Day and Fathers' Day
Scout camp for James
2: Missing climbing Half-Dome because of rain
Dying refrigerator
1: Altitude sickness on Mt. Langley at approx 13,000 ft
Doggie SVU
12 years ago
1 comment:
I tried to post this a couple of days ago, but apparently it didn't publish, so I am trying this again. It went something like this...
How can I not LOVE this post? How I ended up with someone as normal as Tad is nothing short of a miracle. Thanks for putting up with me then and now (or should I say Now & Later)and all my ridiculousness. I hope your fridge holds out until Labor Day. If it makes you feel any better our Oven only works about 80% of the time.
Here's to many more days and events worthy of the 4-5 perkiness rating!
Post a Comment