Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Dewey Decimal Decathlon

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to read at least one book from each "hundreds" section by the end of the year.

My books checked out/read so far:

000: The Darwin Awards III by Wendy Northcutt
100:
200: Our Latter-Day Hymns: The Stories and the Messages by Karen Lynn Davidson
300:
400: Eats, Shoots, and Leaves by Lynne Truss
500: "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman" by Richard P. Feynman
600: The Playful Brain by Richard Restak and Scott Kim
700: Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese by Michael J. Nelson
800: Naked by David Sedaris
900:

Any recommendations?  Want to be added to the official list?

6 comments:

Sarah F said...

I want in on the challenge! When do we have to be done by?
Here are a few suggestions:
(153.8) Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely. I've taught this in my class for several semester and it's always a crowd pleaser.
(796) A Perfect Mile by Neal Bascomb. Even if you don't care about running it's pretty suspenseful.
(811) Good Poems col. Garrison Keillor. It's a pretty eclectic poetry compilation and I like that he compiles the poems based on themes rather than author.

Chris or Katie said...

I was thinking by then end of the year.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've already read Predictably Irrational (and loved it), but I'll take a look for the other ones. Working on my 000s now with "The Darwin Awards 3".

Becky said...

My current reading goal is just to finish a book by the end of the year. So I am going to have to assume a cheerleader role in this decathlon for you and Sarah. But please keep us updated.

Read aggressive! Re-eed aggressive! A-G-G-R-E-S-S-I-V-E!

Chris or Katie said...

We've got serifs, yes we do
we've got serifs, how 'bout you?

There's no minimum length of book, Becky, so with some judicious choices of bedtime reading with Jacob and/or Anna, you could easily be in this thing!

Hey, Reference, what's your number?
000, 000, 000, 000, yeah!

Chris or Katie said...

I have some recommendations too. If you care anything about North Korea then you will want to read these, and if you don't know much about what is happening there then you should read these anyway. (951.93)Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick and
(365.45)Escape from Camp 14 by Blaine Harden.

Katie

Probably not good bedtime reading. Government of North Korea Booo Hisss!

Garrett B said...

I'm totally doing the decathlon. I have a stack of books waiting to be read at all times. I'll need to sort through them to see how they fall in the Dewey.

***

Born to Run (796) is awesome (Perfect Mile is really good too). I really liked Beethoven by Edmund Morris (780).

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris (814) is funny.

Some great ones in the 900s are The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough and Endurance by Alfred Lansing