As most of you are probably aware, I'm not the most outgoing, confident, or spotlight-loving person. So how in the world did I end up singing a solo in our stake conference the week before Easter?
1. I was doing what I had been asked to do. Our stake requested that each ward choir assign 2 people from each voice part to become part of the stake choir. I was chosen for that, and was one of the 3 basses that showed up for the first rehearsal. Apparently, the odds this time were not ever in my favor.
2. I was singing a song that I absolutely love. We sang The Spirit of God Like a Fire is Burning, which is probably my favorite arrangement of one of my favorite hymns ever. My part: "The visions and blessings of old are returning/And angels are coming to visit the earth."
3. I was harmonizing with someone with a strong, beautiful, and talented voice. The tenor part in the intro was being sung by Michael Babbitt. I'd sung with him before, but since he wasn't actually in the car when I was singing along, it probably doesn't really count. It was a big thrill for me to be singing with him in person.
4. I had lots of help. The original arrangement is 3 voices, a cappella. We ended up performing with 5 people (adding a bass and a baritone), and having the organ help us a bit in staying on our parts. Incidentally, the people who joined us? The added bass was Robert Wilde (our family trees connect up somewhere in Coalville). The baritone was a high councilor. A few weeks earlier, our ward choir was supposed to perform for Ward Conference, and we found out in the practice just before the meeting that we'd be missing both our strong voices from our tenor section (our ward choir is not especially deep). We half-jokingly suggested that we pray for a tenor to show up. During the opening prayer for the practice, we did ask for help in performing. Halfway through the practice, this same high councilor walks in, and happily accepts our invitation to sing in our choir.
The performance went well, I think. I really enjoyed being a part of it, and felt like I was able to sing effectively.
During the meeting (just as during General Conference), the theme of missionary work was emphasized. I found myself thinking back to the song I had just sung, and was struck with the many parallels between performing that song and being willing to share my testimony. It's definitely not something that is easy for me, but I also know that I've been asked to do so, it is a message that I love, I am harmonizing with a much more powerful and beautiful voice when I do so, and that through prayer, family, and many other sources, I will have help.
Doggie SVU
12 years ago
2 comments:
Wow! Good for you. I can't think of anything more terrifying.
I am uber-impressed! I don't think you ever give yourself enough credit. I'm sure it sounded amazing! Wish I could have been there to hear it.
Post a Comment