Sunday, January 29, 2012

You're Entering Another Dimension....

For the last little while, the background entertainment for while I fold laundry has been the original seasons of "The Twilight Zone". I'm amazed that Rod Serling et al. could consistently come up with so many interesting and thought-provoking stories. And part of the fun is the mystery of what type of episode you're going to get: Heartwarming? Humorous? Horrifying? Poetic justice? Just plain weird?

On a related note, sometimes things happen in our house where I half-expect that if I turn around, I'll see Rod Serling narrating what's about to happen.

"Meet the Wildes. They're familiar with Tolstoy, but he's obviously not familiar with them, because their happy family is decidedly not all alike. And even though it's Sunday afternoon, they'll soon be holding Family Home Evening. The parents are about to try to teach their children a lesson about patience and soft answers turning away wrath. But their kids have something else in mind. Before they get to the treats, they'll have to participate in a family activity... in the Twilight Zone."

Has the boy who is responsible for at least two siblings needing stitches really grown up into a dad who is upset by seeing relatively tamer teasing? Why is there a tiara and a princess wand in the fridge? Are my teenage sons really into "My Little Pony" more than their younger sisters? How can the same kids who cry if they get one less M&M than everyone else be so generous when they get "just me" treats? And why is it so hard to flush the toilet and/or use the proper amount of toilet paper?

5 comments:

Becky said...

Now I am going to hear that voice in my head too. My favorite Twilight Zone is the one with the girl with the "hideous" face who is trying to get it fixed. Only to find out that the girl is actually the beautiful one and the rest of them have snouts.

You've inspired me to get back to blogging. If you can do it once a week I should be able too.

Kathy said...

It's great to have The Twilight Zone back! Hooray for vintage television.

Chris or Katie said...

On a related note: Do you think Rod Serling is good-looking, or funny-looking? I can't make up my mind either way.

Becky said...

I think a good eyebrow tweeze would have gone a long way with him.

Sarah F said...

If you ever figure out how to get your kids to start wiping, please share that parental wisdom with me.